Wednesday, November 28, 2012

MADE IN EGYPT: The Sahara Collection: part2 5 minutes with Karmah and Zeina







As you all probably know I got the lovely opportunity to attend The Sahara Collection's show in Cairo Fashion Festival. On top of that I got to ask Karmah and Zeina a couple questions for my blog. Karmah and Zeina were the first designers to showcase their designs and I have to say that their show was the FIRST fashion show I ever saw (IRL, I saw plenty online). So their show will always have a special place in my heart. They design fabulous, comfortable clothes that depending on the way you style them can be worn in the morning and at night. They don't only design clothes, the also design amazing clutches.
When did you know that you wanted to be a fashion designer ?
Karmah : ive always been interested in art & design ever since i was a child. I decided to make it happen when i graduated.
Zeina: when i felt i wanted to contribute to the local market in egypt by promoting fashion as an art.


Where do you find your inspiration from ?


K & Z: Antiques, Vintage collections, ethnic origins, mixed with today's trends.
What's your favorite thing you ever designed?
K: an embroidered voile off the shoulder top embellished with a crochet trim . it was last summer's hit
Z: a black satin jumpsuit and my collection of clutches because i put a lot of time and creativity into each one
What's your favorite magazine?
K : People Style magazine
Z: In style magazine
Who's your favorite fashion designer?
K: Roberto Cavalli
Z: Chloe & Stella Mcartney
Tell me a bit about your newest collection.
K&Z: our winter collection ranges from everyday winter essentials to unique pieces to add style to the winter season. all of our items are about comfort as we believe you must feel good in order to look good. Versatility is something you will find in most of our products; we like designing clothes that you can transform from a daytime outfit into something dressier at night by adding a chic pair of shoes or glam accessory.
What inspired your collection ?
K&Z: The ethnic, tribal and fringe trends were great inspirations to us this season. we incorporated them a lot into our collection mixed with Sahara's core style elements.
What does it feel like to be a fashion designer in Egypt?
K& Z : we feel really blessed we got the opportunity to contribute to the Egyptian market. We would love to see Egyptian production flourish & hope we can be a part of making it happen.
How is it to work with your sister ?
K : it's great to work with my sister as we have a blast combing our ideas into one; our designs would not be the same without the other person.
Z: it's great to work with my sister because there's nobody i trust more than my family & i like bringing our ideas together.

xoxo,
Alia

2 comments:

  1. Which was your favorite collection from the ones you saw at CFF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm looking for mutual followers.
    shoppingepisodes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions email me on totw.apairofshoesatatime@gmail.com !
I LOVE to read your comments, they make me happy