Tuesday, November 27, 2012

MADE IN EGYPT: 5 Minutes with Yasmine



pictures of the show curtesy of Cairo zoom

Yasmine is a talented young egyptian fashion designer. She designs edgy clothing that keep on showing up in my dreams and that I could definitely see myself wearing. Her designs are very edgy and original and I just love them. I got to meet her at Cairo Fashion Festival and as soon as I saw her show I was amazed and wanted to ask her a couple questions so here are her answers.

 Me: When did you know that you wanted to be a fashion designer ?
Yasmine: I always wanted to study and pursue painting. After I applied to several fashion design schools I thought it might actually work out, and this might be my career someday. When I got accepted and was actually starting my first year at ESMOD, I knew then that this is what I want to do, making art come to life in garments. Something that a woman would wear and feel confident, sophisticated and fashionable. 
Me: Where do you find your inspiration from ?
Yasmine: Depends, usually from architectural designs, to get details for cuts and construction. Colours depend on the season and the inspiration; black and white are always in the mind! 

Im usually inspired by a powerful, edgy, sophisticated, fashionable and unique woman. That look inspires me in general.
Me: What's your favourite thing you ever designed?
Yasmine: The black suede bustier dress that I designed for my first fall/winter 2012-13 collection. I made it all by hand, it took me 2 entire weeks to complete this dress. As hectic as it was, its by far my favourite piece. It contains all the elements that I was inspired by in the collection, it's the perfect piece to explain the collection. 

Me: What's your favourite magazine?
Yasmine: Numero Magazine Paris

Me: Who's your favourite fashion designer?
Yasmine: Ricardo Tisci and Alexander McQueen

Me: Tell me a bit about your newest collection.
Yasmine: Its very dark, edgy, and sophisticated. It might not be what every woman looks for, especially here in Egypt. However, its what my brand is mainly about, it's my main inspiration, that look of a certain woman. 

Me: What inspired your collection ?
Yasmine: photograph by of a skull hedi slimane, and some architectural images for details and construction of garments. 

Me: What does it feel like to be a fashion designer in Egypt?
Yasmine: It feels really good actually. Its what I've always wanted since I started my fashion design career. I always wished to see someone actually wearing my designs. Seeing that woman wearing something that I created is the best feeling in the world.


xoxo,
Alia

1 comment:

  1. I love the last dress, it's so elegant! I love Alexander McQueen too! xx

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions email me on totw.apairofshoesatatime@gmail.com !
I LOVE to read your comments, they make me happy